What to Expect

This is the diary I have decided to create, dedicated to the time I have spent with my jaws wired shut.
On the 23rd of February I went into the operating theatre for a jaw-reconstruction. They were to break my bottom and top jaws and re-position them.
This is a re-count of the events leading up to and in the hospital after the operation.

NAVIGATING THROUGH THE SITE

Now, on your right there is a drop down list.

Click on the little arrow next to 'February' and a drop down list will apear. In the drop down list pick 'Drabble' and you will be taken to the first page.

Once you are done, hit 'Day 0' and so on...

Once you have reached Day 7, click on the little arrow next to 'March' and a drop down list will apear revealing the links that will take you to the next lot of days!

ENJOY!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Day 4

I was awake day four.

I got moved out of the ICU ward into my own room and I attempted for the very first time to eat.

It didn't go too well. I was trying to eat custard. We tried it through a straw which I had to position in the side of my cheek. It was really hard because I had to suck REALLY hard, and hardly got anything through the straw. So I got sick of that pretty soon.

Then my physiotherapist came and took me for a 'walk' she asked Mum to take me for little walks around the hospital.

Then I got to have my very first shower since I arrived! I swear to God, it was SO nice! Even though the water wouldn't get above luke-warm, which wasn't hot enough, it was still good to get all of that dry blood off of my face.

Dad came to see me again today.

It was funny, I just kept falling asleep and then waking up to little snippits of conversation.

Dad did buy me a new My Chemical Romance CD... which was AWESOME!

But I wasn't that much of a happy chappie...

I was really down in the dumps and just tired the whole day. I pretty much slept most of this day. My Oma and Grandad came to see me. I was awake when they came, but only just so I just went back to sleep.

I did say hello to them when I woke up... They got me a bear, I called him Zane because he was blue and had a beanie. He looked like a snowboarder so I thought he needed a kool name.

Well then I slept.

Finally it was night-time... and this is the time my body chose that it DIDN'T want to sleep.

I'd fall asleep, and then wake up after I'd had some really strange dream. I had like half a dozen different dreams per night.

I swear they were REALLY weird...

I had dreams about Harry Potter, that movie The Lion King, different letters of the alphabet, EVERYTHING you can imagine.

I woke up once with that song 'The Gambler' in my head. You know: "You gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run." But that's it... that's all I know of that song... so it was those two lines OVER AND OVER AND OVER like a MILLION times!

I kept waking up gagging, but because I wasn't eating anything, I couldn't throw anything up.

Another thing I had in my head was the alphabet. Like as in: A is for Apple. B is for Ball. So I went through the alphabet, but I couldn't get past T. I kept thinking T is for Tube, which reminded me of the tube I had in my nose (oxygen tube) and I couldn't get past T. No matter how hard I tried, I kept getting reminded of the oxygen tube. I'd get to S. but it only reminded me of: S is for Suction. Then it went to Suction Tube, then back to Tube.

So I'd start again. Sometimes I only got to D. D is for Drip... The drip in my arm... It's a tube.

It was AGONISING!!

No comments: